Oil-Free Protein-Rich Granola
Do you love granola? Me too!
Busy working days, rushing in the mornings, no time for long breakfast preparation and the truth is that nutrition comes first to me! It has to be quick, delicious and nutritious.
I start my days with fruits only, but who can say no to yummy, crunchy, homemade granola? It surely fits a morning breakfast, a late snack and the smoothie bowls topped with it are just… amazing!
Most commonly, granola is regularly used by people on-the-go, working parents or outdoor-oriented people like campers, for example. If you like to spend days in nature, far from the comfort of a hotel (and no refrigerator), this granola is a good idea to take with you.
In addition, this homemade granola is naturally sweetened with raw Medjool dates which means – no artificial sugar, not even honey! Perfect for vegans and all of you who focus on more whole foods. Once you try this homemade granola, you won’t go back to store-bought one ever again. It’s so much better!
Plus, it’s so easy to make that it literally takes you 30 min for a batch that lasts (at my home) for approximately 2 weeks. Give it a try and feel free to experiment with different add-ins for a different taste every time. You can add raisins, chocolate chips, variaty of dried fruits and so much more!
Not only it’s super quick and easy to make, but it contains ingredients that you probably have in your pantry. Moreover, these are ones of the nutrition boosters feel-good ingredients, including lots of protein and omega-3s. Not to mention how perfectly crunchy this granola is but… really, I just love this granola recipe because it is SO GOOD!
I promise you will fall in love with it. ♡
Oil-Free Protein-Rich Granola
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 500 g gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes
- 150 g tahini of choice (I use hazelnut)
- 10 Medjool dates
- Alright, it’s time to start! Simply:Place the oats into a large bowl. Add the chopped nuts and seeds. I use a food processor to cut them according to my desire! Add the cocoa, coconut flakes, and cinnamon and mix everything together. Blend 150g tahini (I love the hazelnut one) with 10 pitted Medjool dates and a bit of water. You should have a smooth sweet paste. Add it to the dry ingredients and combine all together using your hands. The texture should be sticky and brownish. Place the mixture on a baking paper and bake at 150 °C for 25 min. Remember to stir and flatten every 5 min to ensure the granola cooks evenly. Let it cool and store in a glass jar.
If you want to customize your granola a bit more, feel free to experiment with the following:
- Dried fruits – simply cut some dried cherries, plums or apricots and add into your granola mixture when it’s already baked and cooled off.
- Peanut butter – Never tried with it, but I bet it will be delicious.
- Chia seeds – For extra crunchiness and protein.
- Chocolate chips – Well, 90% cocoa and organic would do just great!
I sometimes have this granola as a second breakfast with some nut milk, unsweetened dried cherries and fresh banana. So yummy! In addition, it does keep you full for a long time, enough to get it to lunchtime. And it’s a great way to incorporate more protein and healthy superfoods into kids’ diet. It’s a win-win.